The Weekly Call – Trade Setups for the Week of January 7th

The Weekly Call provides perspective on high-quality setups and trading strategies. Our current performance showing a more than 200% return since October 2016. The purpose of this blog is to demonstrate how to swing trade futures using our methodology to select high-quality setups and manage the trade with our risk management approach. This week I am managing trades in soy, coffee, gasoline (RBOB), and natural gas and look to initiate new trades in corn and live cattle.

This past week, I exited the live cattle trade with a 44% return on margin and currently am holding three other profitable trades in coffee, natural gas, and soy. See the review below for more details.

All trades posted here are discussed in detail in our Daily Update Subscription Service and posted on our private Twitter feed. Our track record is posted below under Completed Trades. See some of our completed trade videos below.

The trades below are discussed on the Daily Update: Click Here for a FREE Trial


Soy – Re-Entering the Trade



12-31 – No position currently, but a reversal pattern has formed and I am looking to initiate a position early this week. The light tape last week as formed a double bottom on soy and I am expecting a conversion of the weekly pivot this week. This will be price confirmation of a turn.

1-7 – I entered soy last week at 962 and am expecting a rally into February. I am already off 1/3 of the position as are 3 up and are past 50% of the previous swing. I am waiting for the trend line support and am looking for more upside this week. Break the trend line and I am out of this trade.

Live Cattle – Managing the Trade

Live cattle is an old friend and it’s time to consider a long. A nice three wave move into the low window and also 50% back of the whole formation. I am 1/2 size long here per my post on our private twitter feed and looking for a reversal pattern. Expecting a turn this week as we are well into the timing window.

12-10 – Live cattle is setting up for a long this week. I am looking for a reversal pattern at 116.675 and am looking for a rally into the high windows of 12-28 or 1-9. Difficult to tell which is which until the turn is set. Minimum rally expected is into $127 and we could get liftoff into 135s if we are fortunate. I will be posting my entry on the Art of Chart private Twitter feed early next week.

12-17 – I have a new position in live cattle as discussed last week, initiated at 118.50 and I have already taken off 1/3 at 120.75 and my stop is at even. I am looking for a strong move higher as we have a timing window that calls for at least $126-127 as a price target. I am a hold for now until I see significant resistance.

12-24 – Bear flag looking structure, my stop on the remaining 2/3s position is below the retest at 118.15. If the position gets stopped out I will look to reenter in the 115-116 area next.

12-31 – Last week, I have taken another 1/3 in profit early as this is a flaggy looking structure. There is risk of a new low. If we break out to the upside, I will add back once I see a confirmation. For now, I’m managing risk with size and in a risk-free position with my stop at even. A retest is expected this week.

1-7 – As mentioned, the retest was expected and most of it occurred Friday. I exited the last 1/3 of my position at 121.55 as it was obvious that Cattle was breaking down. We are now at the lower trend line support and can be forming an expanding leading diagonal. This is an inflection point, either LE convert the weekly pivot just above or we break the trend line and see new lows. I will be watching for support a long entry on the open Monday.


Natural Gas – Adding Size to the Trailer


12-24 – The Sunday pop last week lead me to take 1/3 off my position at 2.741 and place my stop below the low. This week that stop was elected on a stop hunt in a single 5-minute bar. Having seen this before on NG, I re-entered the trade at 2.635 and am still expecting a rally. There is risk to 2.35 and if this price is seen, my plan is to add size.

12-31 – I am still long and expecting a fifth wave higher into the 3.050-3.100 area. When seen I plan to exit my second 1/3 and hold the balance at even stop. I am expecting a retest this week. The $3.00 area is a key support as is $2.85. My plan is to add size when these areas are seen. Currently, I am in a risk-free position.

1-7 – As discussed in the Daily Update, I added to my existing trailer position on NG at the second support at 2.776 and placed my stop below the low. I am expecting higher prices at this point and NG needs to convert 2.882 to confirm the turn. Resistance in this area will result in a new low. Break above and we open the next high window on 2-2.


Corn – Planning the Entry

Corn is getting close to a reversal pattern and I am planning to enter sometime this week. Either corn is going to double bottom or just break out to the upside. I plan to enter on the pullback if the breakout is seen. Members of our private twitter feed see the actual post for the entry and all trades are reviewed on The Daily Update Video.

11-19 – Nice movement into our target area at 336’4 – nice reversal from that area and now waiting on the retest. Once seen, we enter long Corn and plan to manage the trade into January.

11-26 and 12-3 – Still waiting for the setup. Right now we have a potential reversal pattern which can break lower as a triangle thrust. I am waiting to see the resolution of this swing lower. If we break the monthly S1 (the green line) we likely head lower directly and I will wait to enter in the $344 area.

12-10, 12-17, 12-24 No changes and I am still waiting for the setup. Looking for a turn and a conversion of monthly pivot to confirm the low. Looking for a higher low this week and the larger reversal pattern to initiate a position.

12-31 Patience pays. I have waited for the setup and it has finally arrived. We may still see a small wave C for the three down that is currently incomplete, but the inflection area is near and a reversal pattern is almost fully formed. I am watching for an entry this week.

1-7 No entry this week as I am waiting for the crop harvest in the southern hemisphere to play out. I like to wait until all the signals I watch line up. We have a nice reversal pattern here, but chart patterns alone are not enough. I have plenty of time to make money here, so prudence outweighs getting into a trade that seasonality does not support. I will wait another week for an entry.


Coffee – Managing the Trade


11-26 – Last week I entered coffee at 126.25 and we have seen a nice impulse higher. I have already scaled out 1/3 in profit at 128.90 and my stop is currently at even. The 50% back the previous swing area is ideal for taking initial profits as this is often a reversal area. At this point, I am waiting for a conversion of the Monthly Pivot (the blue line) as confirming price action and am expecting higher prices into March of 2018.

12-3 – I managed to take another 1/3 in profit last week at $131.70 as posted on our private Twitter feed, stop is still at even. I expected a backtest which has happened and am waiting on confirming price action above weekly pivot to add more size. We have risk here to $126.00, watch for another legg lower. I am still expecting the rally into 12-15.

12-10 – The trailer I was holding was stopped out this week on a quick move lower, which is why we use the 3P method in managing risk. So we exited with 2/3s in profit and are looking for our next entry. The low window on 12-12 and the trend line just below may prove to be the setup we are looking for. There is a smaller reversal pattern on a 5 minute chart, any conversion of 124.90 signals the upside. I will be looking for an entry early this week.

12-17 – As mentioned last week, I entered coffee at 121.85 and am expecting a rally. Last week I exited the first 1/3 for a small profit as we are three up and in a possible flag formation. I am expecting a break out to the upside this week and I will sit and be patient this week to see what coffee has in mind.

12-24 – The flag has broken down and I am still in the trade. Looking for an exit at weekly pivot if resistance is seen. At this point, it is a 50/50 if we break down or rally. Tuesday price will decide. If last week’s low is broken, I will exit the trade.

12-31 – Last week I took a second 1/3 in profit as we are now in a flaggy structure and in a three up structure. A retest is expected this week and I will be looking for support in the 123.50 area. Any beak of the lower channel trendline and we open new lows. I am even stop and in a risk free position.

1-7 – I am off 2/3s in profit and am waiting for the last legg up into the 133-34 area. Currently, there is a small flag/triangle forming and I am expecting a 50% back retest after the next target is achieved. I will be exiting the last 1/3 in the target are and re-entering the trade when the opportunity presents itself.


Gasoline – Entering a Seasonal Trade

Seasonal trades make sense if in the last 15 years you can find a pattern with greater than a 70% win rate. This is the case with gasoline as typically we see a rise in price into the summer season. I have already entered a 1/2 size position with no stop at 1.7946. I will allow this position to swing quite a bit as I am looking into the March time frame for an exit. I will be adding size and exiting the position multiple times between now and then. This is just a small size to put my toe in the water for now. More on this trade next week.



Come see what we are trading – Try our 30 day FREE trial Click Here


Have a GREAT trading week!!!


Track Record of Completed Trades

The purpose of this blog is to demonstrate how to swing trade futures using our methodology to select high quality setups and manage the trade with our risk management approach. This track record is based on entries and exits as posted in this blog using a $50,000 account limited to a three contract position size. We will increase position size after we generate a 200% return. See the videos below for more information.

There is substantial risk of loss of capital when trading and/or investing. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. See our disclaimer Here.


Completed trade in Cattle as of November 28th

We expect subscribers to have captured 60% of the swing in live cattle which is over $14,500 in profit using a margin of only $5,115. A great example of using leverage in futures.

Completed Trade in Coffee as of December 12th

The total swing was $37.00 and we expect subscribers to have captured 60% of a wing or $22 in coffee for a profit of over $25,500 using a margin of $8,850. A great example of using leverage in futures. See the video below for the review of the trade.








Completed Trade in Natural Gas as of January 2nd

We were stopped out of out last 1/3 position as weather related news created a gap down on January 2nd and a possible flat with support at 3.196. This concludes our trade with natural gas, we exit with 550 ticks on 2/3s of a position with $8,500 in profit.

Completed Trade in Coffee as of January 19th

We exited the coffee trade on January 19th with $17 or over $15,000 in profit using a margin of $8,850. A great example of using leverage in futures.

Completed Trade in Gold as of February 8th

We exited the gold trade on February 8th with over $14,000 in profit. We entered on January 3rd and held the trade into the high window. We will re-enter gold in a few weeks after a back test.


Written by:

Stan Nabozny

Stan is a 20 year retail trading veteran, CTA (Commodity Trading Advisor) and Co-Founder of The Art of Chart. His specialties include using futures and options to trade Energies, Precious Metals, Equities, Currencies, Bonds, Softs, Grains and other commodities. Stan believes that Risk Management and Trader Psychology are more important that technical analysis and spends his time teaching and coaching other traders on these topics. Stan uses various trading systems and technical analysis approaches that integrate time and price in his work. See his latest articles here and

08th Jan 2018

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *