The Weekly Call provides perspective on high-quality setups and trading strategies. Our current performance showing a more than 290% return since October 2016. The purpose of this blog is to demonstrate how to swing trade futures using our methodology to select high-quality setups and manage the trade with our risk management approach. This week, I am managing trades in cocoa, soybean oil, and natural gas, and looking to initiate new trades in corn, soy, coffee, silver, and live cattle.
Last week, I started a new position in live cattle and am still holding a natural gas long. This week I am expecting resolution in both. I will be adding size on both when the turn is confirmed. Still waiting on the entry in soy on a decent pullback.
All trades posted here are discussed in detail in our Daily Update Subscription Service and posted on our private Twitter feed. Our track record is posted below under Completed Trades. See some of our completed trade videos below.
The trades below are discussed on the Daily Update: – Click Here for a FREE Trial
Soy – Re-entering the Trade
1-7 – I entered soy last week at 962 and am expecting a rally into February. I am already off 1/3 of the position as are 3 up and are past 50% of the previous swing. I am waiting for the trend line support and am looking for more upside this week. Break the trend line and I am out of this trade.
1-14 – After developing a bear flag, I decided to exit the soy trade at 962.75 for a 12% return on margin. Good decision as the bear flag has played out lower. I have reentered at the three down target at 952.50 and am waiting on the higher low to add more size.
1-21 – The recent low was a good entry and I have exited my first 1/3 as always at 50% back the previous swing at 969s and the second 1/3 at the monthly pivot 979s. I am now waiting for a pullback into February 1st or so and will add size when seen. February has historically been a bullish month for soy so I am watching the retest this week with interest.
1-28 – Still waiting on the retest and so far I see an “a” wave lower, looking for a three-down to complete around the monthly pivot (the blue line) and then expecting a rally. There is usually a seasonal rally in soy that starts in February. There is no guarantee that it will play out but the chart is aligned with seasonality so looking forward to adding size to this trade this week.
2-4 – I have added size to the trade at 978.50. Chances are that we will see a rally directly OR we will see 973s first and then a rally. I like this trade long through the month of February. Break the .618 and I am out of both the trailer I am carrying from the last long as well as this new position.
2-11 – Last week, I exited my first 1/3 at 984.50 from the new entry from 2-4. On the Sunday open we have gaped up and I have exited my second 1/3 at 998.25 so I hold a trailer currently on the add from the week of 2-4. I also hold a trailer from January from 952s. I see resistance at 1003 and am expecting a pullback and higher into the 1030 target.
2-19 – Last week, I exited both trailers on both soy positions at 1009 and 1022 for nice profits. I am currently flat and waiting for a retracement to re-enter. This impulse ended a minor degree wave three and we did very well with 66% and 133% return on margins on both positions. I like to carry trailers and add positions on a third wave, especially with commodities. I will be watching for a re-entry at 1003s this week. I am expecting higher prices into 1050.
2-25 & 3-4 – Still waiting on the retracement on soy to re-enter the trade. It really needs to get into the RSI 30-40 area to have any chance of a re-entry. If seen, I plan to re-enter the trade. Cycles show bullish action into April. This is a much higher risk entry than the earlier two on this impulse so I will be waiting for an ideal setup. I don’t mind missing this one.
Soybean Oil – Managing the Trade
Soybean oil is a seasonal trade this time of year as there is not another harvest until May. I expected prices to rise steadily through the end of February. I have initiated a 1/2 size position at 33.29 and am waiting on a reversal pattern to add more size to the trade.
1-21 – Soybean oil is usually a seasonal long this time of year and I still like this long into the end of February. My stop is below the triangle trendline and I am planning to add size this week as we have clear positive divergence on RSI. I am a little early on my 1/2 size entry. Soybean oil usually has a decent February along with soy so waiting patiently on a reversal pattern here to add size.
1-28 – The seasonal trend in soybean oil I believe is now in action. I am riding only a 1/2 size position and will hold the trade for now until the retest of the low. Once seen I plan to double my size.
2-4 – It is time this week to add size. We are now in the retest and likely done here. I am waiting for a reversal pattern to enter. When seen, I will double up my size. We are in a seasonal trend higher and I am expecting the next high in early March.
2-11 – A reversal pattern here has formed—appears to be an expanded flat with a target in the $32 area. At this point, it appears that there is also a double bottom. There is risk to 31.50, I will be looking to add size this week.
2-18 – Soybean oil is at a point of a reversal—it has either already turned and we will see a rally this week or we will see a marginal new low to the trend line then higher prices. With soy in a seasonal rally, bean oil usually follows. I am still holding a 1/2 size position and will likely add another 1/2 size after a confirmation of the turn.
2-25 – Nice reversal as expected, looking higher into early March. We need to see a retest first and support demonstrated, then higher prices into the high window next week. I plan to start legging out of the trade this week.
3-4 – The reversal has seen continuation higher and at this point I am waiting on a break to a new high. The cycle ends soon for this impulse so this week I need to see a break higher. Weekly and Monthly pivots are currently support.
Natural Gas – Re-entering the Trade
2-4 – I have re-entered natural on the pullback into the $2.90 area with risk down to 2.80. My entry was 1/2 size and $2.916. I am expecting a turn and support at $2.80. Any break of $2.80 and I plan to exit the trade as the next support level is lower at $2.60. I plan to re-enter the trade in the $2.60 area if seen. Cycles support a turn this week.
2-11 – Poor entries happen in trading, see a trend line, expect it to hold and sometimes it does not. My entry style on this trade was to enter on a three-down and if a small wave 5 developed, I would add size. So my plan was to add on a reversal pattern, which has yet to form. So the good thing that this trade is showing is how to not add size too early. The bad habit this trade is showing is not exiting as planned. Even if the trade is only 1/2 size, the discipline required still calls for an exit. The 5th wave has turned out to be larger than expected. The trade is not yet broken as divergence is holding, two areas I am watching, 2.70 and 2.83. Each can be resistance, if converted this week, we can see 3.20 easily. First I need to find my add spot which requires a reversal pattern. I may exit at one of the resistance areas if manifested. The cycle chart below calls for a turn by 2-13.
2-18 – Still waiting for the confirmation of a turn here which will occur above 2.82. Right now, NG needs to negotiate the $2.70 area which is resistance. There is currently risk to $2.40 and a full retest of the low. I am waiting to add size as I want to see $2.70 convert and see a retest that makes sense. Once seen, I will then add size. For now, I am patiently waiting. I am expecting the test at $2.70 early this week. Massive draws on inventory last week had little effect on price. We are entering the March shoulder season on NG which is usually good for a rally.
2-25 – The price action last week tested the $2.70 area as mentioned and has pulled back 50%. This is a decent setup for a rally into $2.83 if the current retracement low holds. Once seen, if $2.70 is support we see the rally. I am waiting on $2.70 demonstrated support to add size to the trade.
3-4 – Nothing has changed from last week. The shoulder season for Natural is upon us. I wait for the resolution of a. is this a flag and will it break down OR b. will we break 2.74 and convert it into support. We should see the answer this week. I plan to ad size on the conversion of 2.74. There is risk to 2.40.
Cocoa – Managing the Trade
I initiated a swing on cocoa short as posted on our private Twitter feed on 2-5 at 2060. The seasonal production of cocoa between now and May should have a negative impact on price. On the last day of the contract, I waited for a bearish impulse to end and punched out of the entire position at 1970 on 2-13 for a nice profit. I waited for the backtest to re-enter the trade. The next day I re-entered the trade short at 2038 in the May contract and was stopped out at 2071. I waited a few more days for a reversal pattern and found a nice entry at the top of a channel and am now short from 2144 on 2-16. Will be exiting my first 1/3 at 50% back the previous swing which is my standard risk management exit and will move my stop to even. I am expecting lower prices into April.
2-25 – I was stopped out for a small loss last week and am waiting for the next setup. We are in the zone now for the next entry. I am waiting for the reversal pattern and I will re-enter the trade. Cocoa has a nice path lower into at least mid-April but we need to convert the rising support trend line in the next week or so.
3-4 – I re-entered Cocoa again last week 1/2 size at 2192 with a stop at 2244 This was the last attempt at getting short as we have invalidation at 2250. The rally stopped me out which puts me on the wrong side of this trade. I plan to stand aside and not pursue this further until the pattern clarifies.
Live Cattle – Managing the Trade
3-4 – I started a 1/2 size long position in Live Cattle last week at 124.075, no stop with a plan to add size. I am managing risk here with size, which is smaller than usual. I am looking for a turn this week as we are in the turn window and also at the 100% fib. Nice positive D here which is holding. On a break of 122 or a break of divergence I will look for an exit.
Come see what we are trading – Try our 30 day FREE trial – Click Here
Track Record of Completed Trades
The purpose of this blog is to demonstrate how to swing trade futures using our methodology to select high-quality setups and manage the trade with our risk management approach. This track record is based on entries and exits as posted in this blog using a $50,000 account limited to a three contract position size. We will increase position size after we generate a 200% return. See the videos below for more information.
Track Record October 2016 – December 2017 Click Here.
There is substantial risk of loss of capital when trading and/or investing. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. See our disclaimer Here.
Completed trade in Cattle as of November 28th
We expect subscribers to have captured 60% of the swing in Live Cattle which is over $14,500 in profit using a margin of only $5,115. A great example of using leverage in futures.
Completed Trade in Coffee as of December 12th
The total swing was $37.00 and we expect subscribers to have captured 60% of a wing or $22 in coffee for a profit of over $25,500 using a margin of $8,850. A great example of using leverage in futures. See the video below for the review of the trade.
Completed Trade in Natural Gas as of January 2nd
We were stopped out of out last 1/3 position as weather-related news created a gap down on January 2nd and a possible flat with support at 3.196. This concludes our trade with natural gas, we exit with 550 ticks on 2/3s of a position with $8,500 in profit.
Completed Trade in Coffee as of January 19th
We exited the coffee trade on January 19th with $17 or over $15,000 in profit using a margin of $8,850. A great example of using leverage in futures.
Completed Trade in Gold as of February 8th
We exited the gold trade on February 8th with over $14,000 in profit. We entered on January 3rd and held the trade into the high window. We will re-enter gold in a few weeks after a backtest.